Skocz do zawartości
Polski Portal Literacki

LA GARDE NE SE REND PAS! GWARDIA SIĘ NIE PODDAJE!

Andrew Alexandre Owie

Rekomendowane odpowiedzi

LA GARDE IMPÉRIAL MEURT ET NE SE REND PAS! DIE ALTE GARD STIRBT, ABER ERGIBT SICH NICHT!
THE IMPERIAL GUARD DIES BUT DOES NOT SURRENDER! GWARDIA CESARSKA UMIERA, LECZ SIĘ NIE PODDAJE!

These words attributed to Pierre Cambronne can be rightfully  attributed to the crews of the Russian warships, cruiser "Varyag" (The Varangian) and gunboat "Korietz" (The Korean) which preferred the glorious defeat in the mortal sea combat with the Japanese squadron to the safe, but shameful surrender in the port of Incheon in the Chemulpo Bay where they had been blockaded during the Russo-Japanese war.

Te słowa przypisywane Pierre'owi Cambronne'owi można  słusznie przypisać załogom rosyjskich okrętów wojennych, krążownikowi "Wariag" (Wareg) i kanonierki "Korietz" ("Koriejec" (Koreańczyk)), które preferowały chwalebną porażkę w śmiertelnej bitwie morskiej z eskadrą japońską niż bezpieczne, ale haniebne poddanie się w porcie Incheon w zatoce Czemulpo, gdzie zostali zablokowani podczas wojny rosyjsko-japońskiej.

On February 9, 1904 they attempted to break through the blockade of the Japanese squadron to get to Port Arthur. The Commander of the French cruiser "Pascal", captain 1st rank Victor Sénès wrote in the ship log, "We saluted those heroes who went to the certain death". Having got not a single chance for  victory and survival, they bravely stroke back, but  50 minutes later after the severe sea battle had to return to the port. Theу were badly crippled, their crews suffered heavy losses, but the did not surrender. Five hours after their return the cruiser was scuttled, and the gunboat was blown up by their crews.

9 lutego 1904 r. usiłowali przebić się przez blokadę japońskich okrętów wojennych do Port Artura. Kapitan francuskiego krążownika "Pascal" Victor Sénès napisał w dzienniku okrętowym: "Pozdrowiliśmy tych bohaterów, którzy poszli na zgubę". Nie mając ani jednej szansy na zwycięstwo i przeżycie, dzielnie też  zaatakowali japońską eskadrę, po 50 minutowej walce zostali ciężko uszkodzone i poparzonе, ich załogi poniosły duże straty, ale nie poddały się. Pięć godzin po powrocie do portu rążownik był  zatopiony, a kanonierka wysadzona przez ich załogi.

The Varyag's captain Vsevolod Rudnev was  given a Japanese decoration for bravery in 1907. But he never wore it. It was the last noble war of the 20th century, the war of the Russian and Japanese knights.

Kapitan "Waregu" Wsiewołod Rudniew otrzymał japońskie odznaczenie za odwagę w 1907 r. Ale nigdy go nie nosił. Była to ostatnia wojna szlachecka XX wieku, wojna rycerstwa rosyjskiego i japońskiego.

The Japanese refloated the Varyag from the bed of the Yellow Sea in August of 1905, and from November of 1905 made it a training ship for their naval officers. Although they renamed it as "Soya" (宗谷), they left the original name of "Varyag" on its stern. The first visit by cadets to the warship in Sasebo (佐世保市was being begun with a story about the heroism of its crew. "Varyag" was cited as an example of serving his country.

Japończycy wydobyły "Warega" z dna Morza Żółtego w sierpniu 1906 r. i uczynili z niego statek szkoleniowy dla swoich oficerów marynarki wojennej. Chociaż zmienili jego nazwę na "Soya" (宗谷), pozostawili oryginalną nazwę "Wareg" na rufie. Pierwsza wizyta kadetów na okręcie w Sasebo rozpoczęnała się od opowieści o bohaterstwie jego załogi. "Wareg" był cytowany jako przykład służenia swojemu krajowi.

Responding to the feat of arms of the Russian Navy men the Austrian writer and poet Rudolf Heinrich Greinz (1866-1942) wrote a poem "Der "Warjag". It was dedicated to the event which that time amazed the whole world. His poem was published in #10 of the popular German journal "Jugend" in Munich in February 1904.  

Zaloguj się, aby zobaczyć zawartość.

Odpowiadając na wyczyn wojsk rosyjskich marynarzy, austriacki pisarz i poeta Rudolf Henryk Greinz (1866-1942) napisał wiersz "Der "Warjag" poświęcony wydarzeniu, które w tamtym czasie zadziwiło cały świat. Jego wiersz został opublikowany w nr 10 niemieckiego czasopisma "Jugend" w Monachiumie w  lutym 1904 r. 

In April 1904, Nikolai Melnikov and Yevgeniya Studenskaya (1874-1906) published their translations of this poem. Both had their own versions. Ms. Studenskaya's translation was recognized by the Russian society as more successful.

W kwietniu 1904 r. Nikołaj Mielnikow i Jewgenija Studienskaja  (1874-1906) opublikowali swoje tłumaczenia tego wiersza. Tłumaczenie pani Studenskiej zostało uznane przez społeczeństwo rosyjskie za bardziej udane.

German text/Tekst niemiecki:
Rudolf Heinrich Greinz
Russian text: Yevgenia Studenskaya
Tekst rosyjski: Jewgenija Studienskaja

English text/Tekst angielski:

Your humble servant/Wasz pokorny sługa

DER WARJAG VARYAG THE VARYAG WAREG

*Varyag [va'riak]  is Varangian [ve'rengien] in English, Warjag in German and Wareg in Polish.

Auf Deck, Kameraden, all' auf Deck!
Heraus zur letzten Parade!
Der stolze Warjag ergibt sich nicht,
Wir brauchen keine Gnade!

Nawierch wy, towariszczi, wsie po miestam,
Poslednij parad nastupajec.
Wragu nie sdajoca nasz gordyj "Wariag",
Poszczady nikto nie żełajec!

On deck all hands, shipmates, all hands on deck!
The last nav'l review. Action stations!
We won't ask for mercy! Our proud "Varyag"
Preferred the hot battle to detention!

Do góry, towarzysze, wszyscy na stanowiska!
Zbliża się ostatnia parada.
Nasz dumny "Wareg" nie poddaje się wrogowi,
Nikt nie chce miłosierdzia!

An den Masten die bunten Wimpel empor,
Die klirrenden Anker gelichtet,
In stürmischer Eil' zum Gefechte klar
Die blanken Geschütze gerichtet!

Wsie wympeły wjuca i cepi griemiac,
Nawierch jakoria podnimaja.
Gotowicay k boju orudijs w riad,
Na sołnce złowiszcze swierkaja.

All pennants are flutt'ring and anchors aweigh
Are raised with the hard'n'heavy clunking.
The sinister tubes of the naked naval guns
Are shining with sunglints and sparkling.

Na górze, na masztach trzepoczą i zwijają się kolorowe proporczyki,
Podnoszą się i grzechoczą z ciężkim stukotem kotwice.
Rzędu tub nagich dział okrętowych w burzliwym pośpiechu przygotuje się do bitwy,
Złowieszczo lśniąc promieniami słońca i iskrzą! 

Aus dem sicheren Hafen hinaus in die See,
Für's Vaterland zu sterben.
Dort lauern die gelben
Teufel auf uns
Und speien Tod und Verderben!

Iz pristani wiernoj my w bitwu idiom,

Nawstrieciu groziaszczej nam smierti. Za Rodinu w morie otkrytom umriom,

Gdie żduc żełtolicyje cierti!

The haven of the faint-hearted shelter we leave
To join our last mortal battle.
For motherland all of us die at high sea.
There wait for us the yellow-faced devils.

Z bezpiecznej przystani bojaźliwego schronienia idziemy w otwarte morze,
Aby umrzeć za Ojczyznę
W naszej ostatniej śmiertelnej bitwie.
Tam czekają na nas diabły o żółtych twarzach.

Es dröhnt und kracht und donnert und zischt,
Da trifft es uns zur Stelle;
Es ward der Warjag, das treue Schiff,
Zu einer brennenden Hölle!

Swistic i griemic i grochociec krugom,
Grom puszek, szipieńjr snariadow.
I stał nasz besstrasznyj i gordyj "Wariag"
Podobien kromiesznomu adu.

There're whistle, and thunder, and crash all around
Of guns, there`s hiss of wild shelling.
A split second our brave ship "Varyag"
Turned out to be an inferno.

Wszędzie rozlega się dziki gwizd, dudnienie i trzask, 
Grzmot dział, syk pocisków,
W mgnieniu oka nasz wierny i nieustraszony "Wareg"
Przerodził się w płonące piekło!

Rings zuckende Leiber und grauser Tod,
Ein Aechzen, Röcheln und Stohnen -
Die Flammen um unser Schiff
Wie feuriger Rosse Mähnen!

W priedsmiertnych mucieńjach triepieszczuc tieła.
Grom puszek i szum i stienanńja.
I sudno ochwacieno moriem ognia,

Nastali minuty proszczanńja.

Death's throes make awfully twitch seamen's forms,
There are cracks, smoke and groans everywhere.
The warship caught fire from bow to stern.
There's time for her leaving forever.

W agonii drgają marynarskie ciała, wokół panuje okrutna śmierć.
Huk dział, dym, hałas i jęki.
Okręt wojenny zapalił się od dziobu do rufy,
Tonąc w  płomienie jako ogniste rumaki z grzywą.
Nadeszła chwila pożegnania.

Lebt wohl, Kameraden, lebt wohl, hurra!
Hinab in die gurgelnde Tiefe!
Wer hätte es gestern noch gedacht,
Dass er heut` schon da drunten schliefe!

Proszczajcie, towariszczi, s Bogom - ura!
Kipiaszczeje morie pod nami.
Nie dumali, bratcy, my s wami wciera, Szto nyncie umriom pod wołnami.

Farewell to you, shipmates! With God and hurray!
The seething sea's right under bow,
It seems only yesterday we weren't aware
That now with the ship we'd go down.

Żegnajcie, towarzysze, z Bogiem - hurra!
Pod nami wzburzone, wrzące morze.
Kto by pomyślał wczoraj, bracia,
[dopiero wczoraj nie byliśmy świadomi]
Że teraz będą spać pod falami.

Kein Zeichen, kein Kreuz wird, wo wir ruh'n
Fern von der Heimat, melden -
Doch das Meer das rauschet auf ewig von uns,
Von Warjag und seinen Helden!

Nie skażec ni kameń ni kriest, gdie legli
Wo sławu my Russkogo fłaga,
Lisz wołny morskije prosławyac odni Gerojskuju gibel "Wariaga"!

No tombstone, no cross, no wreath where we fell
In praise of the flag of our Russia!
The sea waves will only forever bring fame
To the Varyag's brave death in the sunshine.

Nie powie ani kamień, ani krzyż, gdzie się polegli
Na część rosyjskiej flagi.
Tylko szum fal morskich wychwala

Bohaterską śmierć "Warega"!
<1904>

Moreover, the poem was destined to become a song which for a long time was considered a folk song, and one of the leading marches of the Soviet Navy during the World War 2.

Ponadto wiersz miał stać się pieśnią przez długi czas uważaną za pieśń ludową, i jednym z czołowych marszów marynarki sowieckiej podczas drugiej wojny światowej.

The iconic music for the Greinz's poem translated by Studenskaya was written by Alexei Tourishchev (1888−1962), then a 16-year-old seaman boy of 12th Astrakhansky Grenadier "Emperor Alexander III" Regiment's orchestra. The bandmaster of the 12th Grenadier Regiment Christian Schröter committed him to the task of composing music to the poem about the heroic death of the Varyag for the regimental orchestra and choir with soloists to participate in the competition announced in connection with the preparation for the meeting of the sailors in Russia. All of a sudden, the Tourishchev's version won, and the author conducted the first performance of the song "Varyag" on the platform of the Kursk railway station at the meeting of the heroes from the "Korietz" and "Varyag" in Moscow. The orchestra consisted of 40, and the choir of 100 singers and 4 soloists from each company of the regiment. Interestingly, in spite of the tragic content and minor mood of the poem, the music of the song, on the contrary, is cheerful, composed in major, and this contrast, paradox, probably also contributed to the success of that work of art.

Pre-revolutionary recording, version of "Varyag" as a folk song. Przedrewolucyjne nagranie, wersja "Warega" jako pieśni ludowej

Muzykę do wiersza przez Greinza w przekładzie Studenskiej napisał
Aleksy Turiszczewa (1888−1962),  wtedy 16-letni junga z orkiestru 12. Astrachańskiego "imeniu Aleksandra III" Pułku Grenadierów. Kapelmistrz pułku Christian Schröter zlecił mu napisanie do wiersza o śmierci "Warega" muzyki dla orkiestry I chóru wraz z solistami do udziału w konkursie ogłoszonym w związku z przygotowaniami spotkania bohaterów w Rosji.
Wersja Turiszczewa nagle zwyciężyła, a autor poprowadził prawykonanie "Warega" po raz pierwszy na peronie dworca Kurskiego na spotkaniu bohaterów z "Koriejca"  i "Warega" w Moskwie. Orkiestra liczyła 40, a chór 100 osób i 4 solistów z każdej kompanii pułku. Co ciekawe, pomimo tragicznej treści i minorowego, mollowego nastroju wiersza, muzyka utworu jest wręcz pogodna, napisana w durach, a ten kontrast, paradoks, zapewne również przyczynił się do sukcesu tego utworu.

An established, classic version of the song "Varyag". Ugruntowana, klasyczna wersja pieśni "Wareg"

In 1943, the "traditional", "folk" song composed by Tourishchev was brilliantly arranged as a wonderful naval march by the  Soviet Polish composer Nikolai Ivanov-Radkievicz (1904-1962).

W 1943 roku "ludową"  pieśń skomponowana przez Turiszczewa została znakomicie zaaranżowana jako wspaniały marsz morski przez sowieckiego polskiego kompozytora Nikołaja Iwanowa-Radkiewicza (1904-1962).

The Varyag Navy March (by Nikolai Ivanov-Radkevich from the Alexei Tourishchev's same-name song). Conductor Captain First Rank Alexei Karabanov. Marsz Marynarki Wojennej "Wareg" (przez  Nikołaja Iwanowa-Radkiewicza z piosenki o tym samym tytule przez Aleksy Turiszczewa). Dyrygent kapitan pierwszej rangi Aleksy Karabanow.

PHILOLOGICAL & HISTORICAL COMMENTS

KOMENTARZ FILOLOGICZNY I HISTORYCZNY

The Battle of Chemulpo Bay was a naval battle in the Russo-Japanese War (1904-1905), which took place on 9 February 1904 (January 27, according to the Russian old style), off the coast of present-day Incheon (then known as Chemulpo), Korea.

Bitwa pod Zatoką Czemulpo była bitwą morską w wojnie rosyjsko-japońskiej (1904-1905), która miała miejsce 9 lutego 1904 r.
(27 stycznia, według starego rosyjskiego stylu) u wybrzeży dzisiejszego  Incheon'u (wówczas zwanego Czemulpo) w Korei.

From the Petersburg "Rus" daily on the events of February 9, 1904.
"Russia is filled with anger... Unfortunately, the rumor about the death of "Varyag" and "Korietz" was confirmed. A whole Japanese squadron approached Chemulpo, and it is clear that one cruiser and a small gunboat could have not fought such a squadron. They couldn't have... yet they fought. When the Varyag's mast was knocked down, and its stern received the serious damage  that caused the fire, the Varyag  and the Korietz withdrew to the inner roadstead. There, our sailors, true to the military duty and the old rule that "the Russian do not surrender", blew up the "Korietz", and the "Varyag" burned down, and was sunk.

Explosion  of "Korietz" Eksplozja "Koriejca" 

Gazeta petersburska "Ruś" o wydarzeniach z 9 lutego 1904 r.
"Rosja jest pełna złości... Niestety, potwierdziła się pogłoska o śmierci "Warega" i "Koriejca". Cała japońska eskadra zbliżyła się do Czemulpo i jasne jest, że jeden krążownik i mała kanonierka nie mogliby walczyć z taką eskadrą. Nie mogliby... a jednak walczyli. Kiedy maszt "Warega" został przewrócony, a rufa była poważnie uszkodzona, co spowodowało pożar, "Wareg" i "Koriejec" wycofali się na wewnętrzną redę. Tam nasi marynarze, zgodnie z wojskowym obowiązkiem i starą zasadą, że "Rosjanie się nie poddaje", wysadzili "Koriejca", a "Wareg" spłonął, i został zatopiony.

On February 9  Japanese squadron of 14 ships approached the port of Chemulpo, and the Japanese Rear Admiral, Baron Uryū Sotokichi (瓜生 外吉) (1857-1937), delivered an  ultimatum that the foreign warships would leave the port, and the Russian warships would surrender to the mercy of the Japanese Imperial Navy. In response,  captain of the first rank Vsevolod Rudnev, commander of the cruiser "Varyag", and captain of the second rank Grigoriy Beliayev, commander of the gunboat "Korietz", decided not only to leave the port, but also to strike back the Japanese squadron in the vane hope of breakthrough to Port Arthur.

Baron Uryū Sotokichi (瓜生 外吉) (1857-1937), Rear Admiral Baron Uryū Sotokichi (瓜生 外吉) (1857-1937), Kontradmiral 

9 lutego  japońska eskadra 14 okrętów zbliżyła się do portu Czemulpo, a japoński admirał baron Uryū Sotokichi (瓜生 外吉) (1857-1937) postawił ultimatum, że zagraniczny okręty wojenne opuszczą port, a rosyjskie okręty wojenne poddadzą się łasce japońskiej marynarki wojennej. W odpowiedzi kapitan 1. rangi Wsiewołod Rudniew, dowódca krążownika "Wareg" i kapitan 2. rangi Grigorij Bielajew, dowódca kanonierki "Koriejec", postanowili nie tylko opuścić port, ale także zaatakować japońską eskadrę w daremnej nadziei na przebicie się do Port-Artura.

Due to the severe fire at the stern of the Varyag, as well as to damages from shells, both warships had to retreat to the port after 50 minute battle. Five hours later the warships were destructed by their crews to evade the falling into the hands of enemy.

Przez silnego ostrzału rufy "Warega", a także uszkodzenia od pocisków, oba okręty musiały po 50 minutach bitwy wycofać się do portu. Pięć godzin później okręty wojenne zostały zniszczone przez ich załogi, aby uniknąć ich wpadnięcia w ręce wroga.

According to the general opinion of the military sailors who witnessed the battle off Chemulpo, the crew of the cruiser "Varyag" accomplished a real feat. The cruiser entered the battle with clearly superior enemy forces, including six ironclads, being well aware of her going to her death, in order to warn the command in Port Arthur about the start of of the war after  the enemy had disabled the telegraph; in order to prevent a fight with the Japanese battleships in the very port, and thereby to save the  foreign naval ships. In a word, the Varyag sacrificed himself for the sake of others. The news of the heroic naval battle quickly spread throughout the world.

Według ogólnej opinii marynarzy wojskowych, którzy byli świadkami bitwy pod Czemulpo, załoga krążownika "Wareg" dokonała prawdziwego wyczynu. Krążownik wszedł do bitwy z wyraźnie przeważającymi siłami wroga, w tym z sześcioma pancernikami, doskonale zdając sobie sprawę z jego śmierci,  w celu ostrzeżenia dowództwa w Port-Arturie o rozpoczęciu wojny po tym, jak nieprzyjaciel zablokował telegraf; oraz w celu zapobieżenia walce z japońskimi okrętami wojennymi w samym porcie, a tym samym uratowania obcych okrętów wojennych. Jednym słowem, "Wareg" poświęcił się dla innych. Wieść o bohaterskiej bitwie morskiej szybko rozeszła się po całym świecie.

At 11:10 a.m. on the Russian ships a command was sounded: "All up, anchor off!" - and ten minutes later "Varyag" and "Korean" weighed anchor and set sail. When slowly passing by the English, French, Italian cruisers, the musicians of the "Varyag" performed the corresponding national anthems. In response, from the foreign ships, on the decks of which the teams lined up in front, the sounds of the Russian anthem rushed, and they shouted "hurrah". The excitement was indescribable, some of the sailors were crying. They had never seen a more sublime and tragic scene. On the bridge of the Varyag was its commander, leading the ship to the last parade.

"God Save the Tsar" (Ed. J. Laverty). Performed by the University of Georgia Wind Ensemble.  "Boże, chroń cara" (red. J. Laverty). Wykonywane przez orkiestrę dętę Uniwersytetu Georgia

O 11:10 na rosyjskich okrętach zabrzmiało polecenie: "Podnieść kotwicę!", a dziesięć minut później "Wareg" i "Koriejec" podnieśli kotwicę i odpłynęli. Mijając powoli angielskie, francuskie, włoskie krążowniki, muzycy "Waregu" wykonali odpowiednie hymny narodowe. W odpowiedzi z obcych statków, na pokładach których drużyny ustawiły się na przodzie, dobiegły dźwięki hymnu rosyjskiego i krzyczeli "hurra".  Podekscytowanie było nie do opisania, niektórzy marynarze płakali. Nigdy nie widzieli bardziej wzniosłej i tragicznej sceny. Na mostku "Warega" znajdował się jego dowódca, prowadzący statek na ostatnią paradę.

Varyag and Korietz go into battle. "Wareg" i "Koriejec" ruszają do walki

The battle in the Chemulpo Bay within 10 miles from the port was being observed from the roadstead by the French cruiser "Pascal" (captain Victor Sénès),  Italian cruiser "Elba" (captain Rafael Borea), British cruiser "Talbot" (captain Lewis Bayly) and  American gunboat "Viksburg".

Bitwę w zatoce Czemulpo w odległości 10 mil od portu obserwowały francuski krążownik "Pascal" (kapitan Victor Sénès), włoski "Elba" (kapitan Rafael Borea), brytyjski krążownik "Talbot" (kapitan Lewis Bayly) oraz Amerykańska kanonierka "Viksburg".

Scheme of the battle of the cruiser "Varyag" and the gunboat "Korietz" against the Japanese squadron of  six ironclads, the Asama (浅間), the Naniwa (浪速), the Takachiho (高千穂), the Chiyoda (千代田), the Akashi (明石), the Niitaka (新高) and 8 destroyers. Schemat bitwy krążownika "Wareg” i kanonierki "Koriejec" z japońską eskadrą sześciu pancerników "Asama", "Naniwa", "Takachiho", "Chiyoda", "Akashi", "Niitaka" i 8 niszczycieli.

The Japanese issued a signal to "surrender at the mercy of the winner", but the commander of the "Varyag" gave the order to raise battle flags. Sounded the combat alert. The Varyag opened fire on the "Asama" (浅間) after she had started the battle from a distance of 45 cables. 

Japończycy wydali sygnał do "poddania się na łasce zwycięzcy", ale dowódca "Waregu"  wydał rozkaz podniesienia flag bojowych. Zabrzmiał alarm bojowy. "Wareg" otworzył ogień do "Asamy" (浅間) po tym, jak ten ostatni rozpoczęł bitwę z odległości 45 kabli.

The Varyag's Captain Vsevolod Rudnev, and the Varyag and the Korietz as they really looked during the fatal sea battle. Kapitan "Warega" Wsiewołod Rudniew oraz "Wareg" i "Koriejec" jak oni wyglądali podczas śmiertelnej bitwy morskiej. 

One of the first shells killed the officer midshipman Count Nirod (at the end of the battle, one hand of Count Nirod was found, holding a rangefinder). The commander of the cruiser was shell-shocked; three officers and 70 sailors of the lower ranks were seriously wounded, 37 killed in action.

Midshipman, Count Alexei  Nirod (Graf von (av) Nieroth) Miczman, Hrabia Alexiej Nirod  (Graf von (av) Nieroth) 

Jeden z pierwszych pocisków zabił miczmana, hrabiego Niroda (pod koniec bitwy znaleziono jedną rękę hrabiego Niroda trzymającego dalmierz). Dowódca krążownika był kontuzjowany. Trzech oficerów i 70 marynarzy niższych stopni zostało ciężko rannych, 37 zabitych.

Counts (Grafen) von Nieroth, both young Counts Nirods, brothers Alexei and Georgy, midshipmen of the fleet of the Russian Empire,  were killed in action in the Russo-Japanese War.
Alexei (1882) on board cruiser "Varyag" in the Battle of Chemulpo in 1904,  George (1884-1905) on board cruiser "Svetlana" in the Battle of Tsushima in 1905.

96900201___.jpeg.3adc4273956721caa254f6c9e72bb0ce.jpeg

Midshipman, Count Georgiy (Yuri) Nirod (Graf von (av) Nieroth). Miczman, Hrabia Grigorij (Jurij) Nirod  (Graf von (av) Nieroth) 

The German knight of the Livonian Order, Baron Magnus-Wilhelm von Nieroth, a Swedish major, was elevated to the dignity of a Count by the King Carl XI on February 5, 1687.

In 1710, already a colonel, he signed a surrender of Reval (now Tallinn) to Russian troops and entered the Russian service. The Baltic counts of Nirod come from him.

Hrabiowie (Grafen) von Nieroth, obaj młodzi hrabiowie Nirods, bracia Aleksiej i Georgij, miczmany floty Imperium Rosyjskiego, zginęli w akcji podczas wojny rosyjsko-japońskiej.
Aleksiej (1882) na  krążownikie "Wareg" w bitwie pod Czemulpo w 1904 roku, Georgij (1884) na krążownikie "Svetłana" w bitwie pod Cuszimą w 1905 roku.

Niemiecki rycerz Zakonu Kawalerów Mieczowych, baron Magnus-Wilhelm von Nieroth, szwedzki major, został wyniesiony do godności hrabiego przez króla Karola XI 5 lutego 1687 roku.

W 1710 r. już jako pułkownik podpisał kapitulację Rewalu (obecnie Tallin) wojskom rosyjskim i wstąpił do służby rosyjskiej. Od niego pochodzą bałtyccy hrabiowie Nirod.

When the heavily damaged Russian   warships reached the port after the sea battle, Victor Sénès climbed onto the deck of the Varyag. "I will never forget the amazing sight that presented itself to me. The deck is covered in blood, corpses and body parts are everywhere. Nothing has escaped destruction".

Gdy mocno uszkodzone rosyjskie okręty wojenne dotarły do portu po bitwie morskiej, Victor Sénès wspiął się na pokład "Waregu". "Nigdy nie zapomnę niesamowitego widoku, który mi się przed oczyma. Pokład jest pokryty krwią, trupy i części ciała są wszędzie. Nic nie uciekło przed zniszczeniem".

The remains of human bodies washed ashore a few days later were then buried with honour in the Maritime Cemetery in Vladivostok.

Szczątki ludzkich ciał wyrzucone na brzeg kilka dni później zostały następnie z honorami pochowane na Cmentarzu Morskim we Władywostoku.

Monument to the "Varyag" in the Maritime Cemetery in Vladivostok. Pomnik marynarzy "Warega" na Cmentarzu Morskim we Władywostoku.

Most serious Russian wounded were dispatched to the Russian transport "Sungari", and then treated in the Red Cross hospital at Chemulpo.

Najpoważniejszych rannych kierowano do rosyjskiego transportu "Sungari", a następnie leczono w szpitalu Czerwonego Krzyża w Ciemulpo.

The Japanese Red Cross nurses at Chemulpo attend Russian sailors wounded in battle February 9, 1904.

Pielęgniarki Japońskiego Czerwonego Krzyża w Czemulpo opiekują rosyjskich marynarzy rannych w bitwie 9 lutego 1904 r.

The Japanese demanded that the Russian crews be delivered as their PoWs, but the British, French and Italian sailors who witnessed of the battle placed  all the survived Russian sailors aboard their ships.

Japończycy zażądali dostarczenia rosyjskiej załogi jako jeńców wojennych, ale marynarze brytyjscy, francuscy i włoscy, którzy byli świadkami bitwy, umieścili na swoich statkach wszystkich ocalałych rosyjskich marynarzy

Hymne de la Marine Navy Anthem de la France. Hymn marynarki wojennej Francji

The foreign warships assisted in the rescue effort for  the Russian survivors of the Varyag and the Korietz. The HMS "Talbot" took on board 242, the Italian warship 179 Russian sailors, the rest was placed on board the French "Pascal". Captain Sénès personally contributed a lot in transporting the wounded and the crew. Later "Pascal"  evacuated them to Saigon, French Indochina.

1635064508_Pascal_(cruiser_1895).jpg.658de251ac0fb29d46b82e08faa11db8.jpg

Pascal

Zagraniczne okręty wojenne brały udział w akcji ratunkowej dla ocalałych rosyjskich okrętów "Wareg" i "Koriejec". Okręt  HMS "Talbot" zabrał na pokład 242 , włoski 179 rosyjskich marynarzy, resztę umieszczono na pokładzie francuskiego "Pascala".
Kapitan Sénès osobiście przyczynił się do transportu rannych i załogi. Później "Pascal" ewakuował ich do Sajgonu we francuskich Indochinach.

Elba

The captain of the USS "Vicksburg" sent his doctor, but refused to accept sailors, due to the lack of permission from his minister. That time the USA were on the side of Japan, and there was even shot a film about the battle from the Japanese view-point where the St. Andrews of the Russian cruiser dropped that never happened in reality. 

USS "Viksburg" wysłał swojego lekarza, ale odmówił przyjęcia marynarzy z powodu braku zgody jego ministra. Wtedy Stany Zjednoczone stanęły po stronie Japonii, a nawet nakręcono film o bitwie z japońskiego punktu widokowego, gdzie spadła rosyjską flaga św. Andrzeja. To nigdy nie zdarzyło się w rzeczywistości.

Rudnev strictly complied with the Clause of the Naval Charter drawn up by Peter the Great, "Russian ships should not lower their flag in front of anyone". One of his ancestors Semyon Rudnev was also a naval officer who participated in the Battle of Azov and received his officer rank for courage and was decorated for valour by order of Peter the Great.

Rudniew ściśle przestrzegał klauzuli Karty Morskiej sporządzonej przez Piotra Wielkiego: "Rosyjskie okręty nie powinny opuszczać swojej bandery przed nikim". Jeden z jego przodków Siemion Rudniew był również oficerem marynarki wojennej, który brał udział w bitwie pod Azowem i otrzymał stopień oficerski za odwagę i został odznaczony za męstwo z rozkazu Piotra Wielkiego.

The Russian crews, except for those heavily wounded, returned to Russia on the neutral warships. They were treated as heroes both abroad, including Japan, and in Russia.

Rosyjskie załogi, z wyjątkiem ciężko rannych, wróciły do Rosji na neutralnych okrętach wojennych. Traktowano ich jak bohaterów zarówno za granicą, w tym w Japonii, jak i w Rosji.

In 1907, the Japanese Emperor Mutsuhito (睦仁) awarded Rudnev  The Order of the Rising Sun (旭日章, Kyokujitsu-shō), II degree in recognition of the heroism of the Russian crew. The behaviour of the Russian sailors perfectly fit into the samurai notions of heroism and valour. But Rudnev never indeed put on this decoration.

W 1907 r. japoński Cesarz Mutsuhito (睦仁przyznał Rudniewowi Order Wschodzącego Słońca (旭日章, Kyokujitsu-shō), II stopień, w uznaniu bohaterstwa rosyjskiej załogi. Zachowanie rosyjskich marynarzy doskonale wpisuje się w samurajskie wyobrażenia o heroizmie i męstwie. Ale Rudniew nigdy nie założył tej dekoracji.

On the April 16, 1904, the survived sailors were delivered to Moscow through Odessa and Sevastopol, and then to St. Petersburg. On arrival they proceeded in a parade column from the railway station to the Winter Palace, where on April 29, 1904 Tsar Nicholas II honoured them. Captain 1st rank V.F. Rudnev was awarded the Order of St. George of the 4th degree, sailors were awarded the St. George Cross IV degree and the special medal "For the Combat of the Varyag and the Korietz on January 27, 1904". A solemn dinner was arranged for the crews there. All the sailors also received the engraved golden watches and table silver as a personal gift from the Tsar.

16 kwietnia 1904 r. ocalałych marynarzy przewieziono do Moskwy przez Odessę i Sewastopol, a następnie do Petersburga. Po przybyciu udali się kolumną paradną z dworca kolejowego do Pałacu Zimowego, gdzie 29 kwietnia 1904 r. uhonorował ich car Mikołaj II. Kapitan 1. rangi Wsiewołod Rudniew został odznaczony Orderem Św. Jerzego IV. klasy, marynarze zostałyodznaczone Krzyżem Św. Jerzego. Zorganizowano tam uroczystą kolację dla załóg. Wszyscy marynarze otrzymali również złote zegarki i stołowe srebro jako osobisty prezent od cara.

In November 1905, Rudnev refused to take disciplinary action against the revolutionary-minded sailors of his crew. He received the rank of Rear Admiral and was dismissed after that.  He returned to his estate in the Myshenki village near Tula, and on July 7 (20), 1913 died at the age of 57. He was buried in the cemetery of the Church of Our Lady of Kazan in the neighboring Savino village.

W listopadzie 1905 r. Rudniew odmówił podjęcia działań dyscyplinarnych przeciwko rewolucyjnym marynarzom swojej załogi. Otrzymał stopień kontradmirała, po czym został odwołany. Wrócił do swojej posiadłości we wsi Myszenki koło Tuły i 7 (20) 1913 zmarł w wieku 57 lat. Został pochowany na cmentarzu kościoła Matki Bożej Kazańskiej w sąsiedniej wsi Sawino.

As to his sailors, they turned out to be the real troublemakers. Some of them actively participated in the uprisings on the Ochakov and Potemkin ironclads against the Tsar, some took part in the Kronstadt uprising against the Bolsheviks after the Revolution. Fifty years later after the Varyag's feat of arms, many of them were still alive and were present in the anniversary celebration of the event in Moscow in 1955, where they were also awarded the Soviet commemorative medals.

Jeśli chodzi o jego marynarzy, to oni okazali się prawdziwymi awanturnikami. Część z nich brała czynny udział w powstaniach na pancernikach "Oczakow" i "Potiomkin" przeciwko Carowi, część brała udział w powstaniu Kronsztadzkim przeciwko bolszewikom po rewolucji. Pięćdziesiąt lat później  wielu z nich jeszcze żyło i uczestniczyło w obchodach rocznicy  czyna bohaterskiego "Warega" w Moskwie w 1955 r., gdzie również otrzymali sowieckie pamiątkowy medale.

Two streets in Vladivostok were named after Rudnev and Beliayev. Since the WW2 the Pacific fleet of the Russian Navy  has had a warship named "Variag" at any time, nowadays it is a missile cruiser. 

"Portrait of the Captain of the 2nd rank Grigoriy Beliayev on board the gunboat "Korietz" (by Sergei Makarov)." Portret kapitana 2. rangi Grigorija Bielajewa na pokładzie kanonierki "Koriejec" (przez Siergieja Makarowa)

Jedna z ulic we Władywostoku została nazwana imieniem Rudniewa. Od czasów II wojny światowej flota Pacyfiku rosyjskiej marynarki wojennej miała zawsze okręt wojenny o nazwie "Wareg", obecnie jest to krążownik rakietowy.

In March 1904, at once two translations of Rudolf Greinz's poem almost simultaneously appeared  in two Russian journals. Nikolai Melnikov's translation was published in the scientific and literary journal "Sea and Life" ("More i zhizn"), while the iconic translation by Yevgenia Studenskaya (1874 -1906) (born Shershevskaya, daughter of the Physician in Ordinary to the Grand Dukes and Grand Dutchesses) appeared in #4 of the New Journal of Foreign Literature, Art and Science ("Novy zhurnal inostrannoy literatury, iskusstva I nauki"), in parallel with the original text in the German language.

W marcu 1904 r. niemal równocześnie ukazały się w dwóch rosyjskich czasopismach dwa tłumaczenia wiersza Rudolfa Greinza. Tłumaczenie Nikołaja Mielnikowa zostało opublikowane w czasopiśmie naukowo-literackim "Morze i życie" ("Morie i żizń"), a kultowe tłumaczenie autorstwa Jewgienii Studienskiej (1874-1906) (ur. Szerszewskiej, córki lekarza ordynariusza Wielkich Książąt i Wielkich Księżni) ukazało się w #4  "Nowego czasopisma literatury zagranicznej, sztuki i nauki" ("Nowy żurnał inostrannoy litieratury, iskusstva i nauki") równolegle z oryginalnym tekstem w języku niemieckim.

Studenskaya very accurately translated the poem, which was published original in a trendy anti-war European satirical magazine among the short humorous sketches, though contained no satirical subtext and sounded like a requiem for the fallen heroes. 
The poem "Der Warjag" was published on February 12, 1904 on  page 197 in #10 of the  Jugend (Münchener Wochenschrift für Kunst und Leben) magazine and signed by the author's true name, Rudolf Greinz (1866-1942). His satiric  sketch  in the same issue about the false patriots who glorify military exploits, but avoid being drafted in case of war, was signed by his pen-name "Kassian Kluibenschädl".

Studenskaja bardzo dokładnie przetłumaczyła wiersz, który ukazał się w modnym antywojennym europejskim piśmie satyrycznym wśród krótkich humorystycznych sketczów, chociaż nie zawierał satyrycznego podtekstu i brzmiał jak requiem dla poległych bohaterów.
Wiersz "Der Warjag" (Wareg) został opublikowany 12 lutego 1904 na s. 197 w numerze 10 magazynu "Jugend (Muenchener Wochenschrift fuer Kunst und Leben)" i był podpisany prawdziwym nazwiskiem autora, Rudolf Greinz (1866-1942). Jego satyryczny sketch w tym samym numerze o fałszywych patriotach, którzy gloryfikują militarne wyczyny, ale unikają poboru na wypadek wojny, był podpisany jego pseudonimem "Kassian Kluibenschaedl".

Interestingly, but the original text of the poem does not contain any indication of the nationality of the Russian heroes, there are no words "Russian", "Russia" there. Thus, the author emphasized the universal nature of the Varyag crew's feat as a feat of spirit of our human race on the whole.

Co ciekawe, w oryginalnym tekście wiersza nie ma żadnych wskazówek co do narodowości bohaterów, nie ma tam słów "Rosyjski", "Rosja". W ten sposób autor podkreślił uniwersalny charakter wyczynu załogi "Warega" jako wyczynu ducha naszej rasy ludzkiej w całem.

The Russian lady translator, while feeling the patriotic enthusiasm, did not understand this and slightly corrected the author and, thus, shifted the semantic accents in the pure patriotic direction. At that time, in 1904, Rudolf Greinz  still remained  a humanist, but just a decade later he transformed into an Austrian nationalist and 40 years later finished his life as an ordinary Nazi writer.

Rosyjska tłumaczka, czując patriotyczny entuzjazm, nie zrozumiała tego i nieznacznie poprawiła autora, a tym samym przesunęła akcenty semantyczne w kierunku czysto patriotycznym. W tym czasie, w 1904 roku, Rudolf Greinz nadal pozostawał humanistą, ale już dekadę później przekształcił się w austriackiego nacjonalistę, a 40 lat później zakończył życie jako zwykły pisarz nazistowski.

He wrote and had published a million of words as a poet and novel writer, but achieved immortality thanks to just one poem, which became one of the leading Russian patriotic songs and naval marches;  thanks to Rudolf Greinz Strasse  in Innsbruck, Austria, where he was born, and Greinzgasse in Vienna; as well as thanks to mentioning his name in the 3rd part, chapter one [III.1] of the farcical anti-war novel "Osudy dobrého vojáka Švejka za světové války" (the latest English  translation by Zenny K. Sadlon and Emmett M. Joyce "The Fateful Adventures of the Good Soldier Švejk During the World War") by the world famous Czech author Jaroslav Hašek.

Greinz napisał i opublikował milion słów jako poeta i powieściopisarz, ale osiągnął nieśmiertelność dzięki wierszowi, który stał się jedną z czołowych rosyjskich pieśni patriotycznych i marszów morskich; dzięki ulicam Rudolf Greinz Strasse w Innsbrucku w Austrii, gdzie się urodził, i Greinzgasse w Wiedniu; a także dzięki wymienieniu jego nazwiska w  Części treciej, Rozdziale pierwszym [III.1] farsowej powieści antywojennej "Osudy dobrého vojáka Švejka za světové války" ("Przygody dobrego wojaka Szwejka podczas wojny światowej") światowej sławy czeskiego pisarza Jaroslava Haska.

Rudolf Greinz is mentioned there in connection with his collection of the short satirical poems about "our enemies" entitled as "The Iron Fist" (Greinz no. "Die eiserne Faust. Marterln auf unsere Feinde", Leipzig Staackmann, 1915), where the word "Marterln" was translated by Hašek as  "žertíčky", or "little jokes", though it is actually a roadside shrine, often to commemorate someone who has died in a road accident on its spot. They're a commonplace in Austria, Bavaria and Czech Republic.

Rudolf Greinz jest tam wymieniony w związku z jego zbiorem krótkich poematów satyrycznych o "naszych wrogach" zatytułowanym "Żelazna pięść" (Greinz Rudolf. "Die eiserne Faust. Marterln auf unsere Feinde", Leipzig Staackmann, 1915), gdzie słowo "Marterln" zostało przetłumaczone przez Haška jako "žertíčky", czyli "żarcikami", chociaż w rzeczywistości jest to przydrożne pomniczki,  upamiętniające kogoś, kto zginął w wypadku drogowym na tym samym miejscu. To
zwyczaina rzecz w Austrii, Bawarii i Czechach.

The post-card with his hate-poem  next to the picture of British foreign secretary, Sir Edward Grey, dangling from the gallows was received as a compensations for the salami that  the 11th march company was promised to receive on its way to the Russian front.

Pocztówka z jego nienawistnym satyrycznym wierszem, obok wiszącego na szubienicy brytyjskiego ministra spraw zagranicznych Sir'a Edwarda Greya, była rekompensatą dla 11. kompanii za salami, które obiecano im w drodze na front rosyjski.

Kadet Biegler podal veliteli batalionu dvě z těch pohlednic, které vydávalo ředitelství Vojenského válečného archivu ve Vídni, kde byl náčelníkem generál pěchoty Wojnowich. ... Nahoře bylo: "Viribus unitis" a pod tím obrázek, jak na šibenici visí Sir Edward Grey a dole pod ním vesele salutují rakouský i německý voják. Básnička dole byla vzata z knížky Greinzovy: "Železná pěst". Žertíčky na naše nepřátele, o kterých říšské listy psaly, že verše Greinzovy jsou rány karabáčem, přičemž obsahují pravý nezkrocený humor a nepřekonatelný vtip.

Na šibenici, v příjemné výši,
měl by se houpat Edward Grey,
je na to již nejvyšší čas,
však třeba upozornit vás,
že žádný dub své nepropůjčil dřevo
k popravě toho jidáše.

Kadett Biegler überreichte dem Bataillonskommandanten zwei von jenen Ansichtskarten, die die Direktion des Kriegsarchivs in Wien
herausgegeben, wo Infanteriegeneral Wojnowich Kommandant war.

Die zweite Ansichtskarte stammte aus dem Deutschen Reich. Es
war ein Geschenk der Deutschen an die österreichisch-ungarischen
Krieger. Oben stand "Viribus unitis" und darunter war Sir Edward
Grey auf einem Galgen abgebildet, und unter ihm salutierten lustig
ein Österreichischer und ein deutscher Soldat.

Das Gedicht darunter war dem Buche "Die eiserne Faust" von
Greinz entnommen. Auf unsere Feinde gemünzte Witze, von denen
die reichs-deutschen Zeitungen schrieben, die Verse von Greinz
seien Hiebe mit der Reitpeitsche, voll ungezügelten Humors und
unübertrefflichen Witzes. Der Text unter dem Galgen lautete:
Grey
An dieses Galgens luftiger Höh
Baumelt der Sir Edward Grey;
Doch ist es noch nicht Wirklichkeit,
Obwohl es längst war an der Zeit.
Ich fiircht, es bleibt ein frommer Traum,
Dieweil auf Erden findet sich kein Baum,
Der trüge solches Ärgernis,
Der also bar an Scham und Stolz,
Daß er für diesen Schurken ließ
Verwenden sich als Galgenholz.

(Jaroslav Hašek "Die Abenteuer des braven Soldaten Schwejk während des Weltkrieges". Übersetzt von Grete Reiner)

And Cadet Biegler presented the battalion commander with two specimens of these postcards, which had been issued by the War Records Department in Vienna, at the head of which was General Wojnowich. .... The other postcard emanated from the German
Empire. It was a gift from the Germans to the Austro-
Hungarian warriors. On top was the motto "Viribus unitis" and underneath it a picture of Sir Edward Grey
hanging on a gallows, with an Austrian and a German
soldier blithely at the salute below. This was accom-
panied by a poem from Greinz’s book The Iron Fist.
The witticisms were described by the German papers as being so many strokes from a lash, full of rollicking humour aud irrepressible wit. This particular stroke from a lash was as follows:

Grey.

The gallows should on high display
Danghng now Sir Edward Grey.

It should have happened long ago;

Why did it not, then? You must know
That every single tree refused
As gallows for this Judas to be used. 
(Jaroslav Hašek "The Good Soldier Schweik", London William Heinemann Ltd, 1930. Translated by Paul Selver)

Kadet Biegler podał dowódcy batalionu dwie z tych pocztówek, jakie wydawał zarząd wojennego archiwum w Wiedniu, gdzie naczelnikiem był generał piechoty Vojnovich.
Druga pocztówka pochodziła z Rzeszy Niemieckiej. Był to prezent złożony żołnierzom austriacko-węgierskim przez Niemców.
U góry był napis: "Virbus unitis", a pod tym napisem widać było szubienicę z wiszącym na niej sir Edwardem Greyem. A na dole pod nim stali dwaj żołnierze, austriacki i niemiecki, uśmiechali się wesoło i salutowali.

Pod obrazkiem był wierszyk zaczerpnięty z książki Greinza Żelazny kułak. Był to jeden z tych dowcipów, jakie fabrykowano przeciw nieprzyjaciołom Austrii. O wierszach Greinza pisma niemieckie pisały, że są to chlaśnięcia biczem zawierające prawdziwy, nieokiełznany humor i niedościgniony dowcip. Tekst pod obrazkiem brzmiał tak:

Grey
Na szubienicy, dosyć wysoko,
Niech się pobuja Edward Grey.
Najwyższy już po temu czas,
Ale pouczyć trzeba was,
Że żaden dąb się na to nie zgodzi,
By na nim zawisł ten Judasz-złodziej.
Więc wisi na drzewie osiki
Z francuskiej republiki.

(Jaroslav Hašek "Przygody dobrego wojaka Szwejka". Przetłumaczył Paweł Hulka-Laskowski) 

There was another, the very first poetic response to the Varyag's epic drama. Just 16 days after the event the Rus daily published the poem "The Ruin of the Varyag" ("There ripple and break the cold waters") by Yakov Repnitsky, a bank clerk. This poem also became the excellent song which melody was composed by the Deprt University student Feodor Bogorodnitsky. He composed it for the guitar, but then showed it to the professional musician, regent of the Cathedral of Our Lady of Kazan in Stavropol Vasiliy Khoroshevich-Ternitsky (Benevsky) who arranged the melody for the choir and orchestra and became a co-author of the song, and he had been considered the only author of its music for a long time. Thus, the song was written and composed by the ordinary citizens, a clerk and a student, and it was a real masterpiece, but  in spite of this fact, though still popular, their song was not accepted by the wide masses, and it failed to become the anonymous folk song. The people must have liked the theme of victory and feat of the Varyag more than the theme of her heroic ruin.

Była inna, pierwsza poetycka odpowiedź na 
epicki dramat "Waregu". Zaledwie 16 dni po tym wydarzeniu  dziennik "Ruś" opublikował wiersz "Bohaterska śmierć Warega" ("Pluszczą zimne wody") Jakuba Repnickiego, urzędnika bankowego. Wiersz ten stał się także znakomitą pieśnią, której melodię skomponował student Uniwersytetu w Deprcie Fiodor Bogorodnicki. Skomponował ją na gitarę, ale potem pokazał profesjonalnemu muzykowi, regentowi katedry Matki Bożej Kazańskiej w Stawropolu. Wasilij Choroszewicz-Tiernicki (Bieniewski) zaaranżował melodię na chór i orkiestrę i stał się współautorem piosenkę i przez długi czas był uważany za jedynego autora jej muzyki. Tak więc pieśń została napisana i skomponowana przez zwykłych obywateli, urzędnika i studenta i była prawdziwym majstersztykiem, ale mimo to, choć wciąż popularna, ich piosenka nie została przyjęta przez szerokie masy i nie powiodła się stać się anonimową pieśnią ludową. Ludowi chyba bardziej podobał się motyw zwycięstwa i wyczynu "Waregu" niż motyw jego heroicznej smierci.

Sveshnikov's choral interpretation, 1944. Interpretacja chóralna przez Swiesznikowa, 1944 r.

In the history of traditional Russian folk music, it was not uncommon for foreign texts, poems, fairly accurately translated from German, English, French and Polish, to become "nameless" Russian folk songs.  As to this very song, it is mostly performed as a classical music in the choral interpretations either by Alexandre Sveshnikov or by Alexandre Alexandrov.

Alexandrov's choral interpretation.
Interpretacja chóralna przez Aleksandrowa.

W historii tradycyjnej muzyki ludowej Rosji nierzadko zdarzało się, aby obce teksty, wiersze, dość dokładnie przetłumaczone z języka niemieckiego, angielskiego, francuskiego i polskiego, stawały się "bezimiennymi" rosyjskimi pieśniami ludowymi. Jeśli chodzi o tę pieśń, to jest ona wykonywana głównie jako muzyka klasyczna w chóralnych interpretacjach przez Aleksandra Swiesznikowa lub przez Aleksandra Aleksandrowa.

The Varyag is the best symbol of the human race's bravery fit for the outer space battles for the restoration of the full control of the Solar System as an inception. By that time the human beings will have understand that there are no races and nations, but only the people of the Earth. 

From the Varyag to the Enterprise and the Voyager. Od "Warega" do "Enterprise"a i "Voyager"a.

"Wareg" jest najlepszym symbolem odwagi rasy ludzkiej, nadającej się do bitew w kosmosie o przejęcie pełnej kontroli nad Układem Słonecznym jako początek. Wtedy  ludzie zrozumieją, że nie ma ras i narodów, ale tylko jedyny naród Ziemi.

THE END KONIEC 

Edytowane przez Andrew Alexandre Owie (wyświetl historię edycji)

@Marek.zak1

So what? Does it change anything? I just tell about a poem, its unusual fate. This is poezja. org, after all.

But before quoting the poem, I had to mention and describe the historical context for this work of art. 

Więc co? Czy to coś zmienia? Po prostu opowiadam o wierszu, o jego niezwykłym losie. 
W końcu to jest poezja.org
Ale zanim zacytowałem wiersz, musiałem wspomnieć i opisać historyczny kontekst tego dzieła sztuki.

@Marek.zak1

The current post is a continuation of the three (!) previous posts about the world-famous militant and military marching songs, or "gunkas". 

Obecny post jest kontynuacją trzech (!) poprzednich postów o słynnych na całym świecie pieśniach bojowych i wojskowych, marzowych, czyli "gunkas".

@Marek.zak1

Besides, I haven't finished yet. Too early for comments. 

Poza tym jeszcze nie skończyłem. Za wcześnie na komentarze.

Rudolf Greinz's favourite pen name "Kassian Kluibenschädel" sounds as a name and surname which were often met in Bavaria and Tirol in Austria. On the other hand, the last name of "Kluibenschädel" is telling where Schäd(e)l is a "skull, head" while "Kluib" or "Kleub" is not a "club" in both meaning of the word, but  "Faust", i.e., "a fist" in the Tyrolish dialect of the German language, kleub  - fiste  [a large heavy fist]. "Kluibenschäd(e)l" is a bit like "а fist skull" or "a scull fist".

Ulubiony pseudonim Rudolfa Greinza "Kassian ['kasjan] Kluibenschäd(e)l" brzmi jak imię i nazwisko, które często spotykano w Bawarii i Tyrolu w Austrii. Z drugiej strony,  "Kluibenschädel" jest "mówiące nazwisko", gdzie Schäd(e)l to "czaszka, głowa, łeb", podczas gdy "kluib" lub "kleub" nie jest "klubem" lub "pałka, kij", ale  "Faust", czyli "pięść" w tyrolskim dialekcie języka niemieckiego, kleub – fiste [duża ciężka pięść].
Kluibenschäd(e)l brzmi nieco jak "pięściowy łeb" lub "czaszkowa, kościana pięść".

Sometimes his pen name was also "Tuifelemaler Kassian Kluibenschädel" Goddamn painter Fistscull.

Czasami jego pseudonim też brzmiał "Tuifelemaler Kassian Kluibenschädel" Cholerny malarz  Kasjan Łeb-Pięściowski.

This German poem in the Southern dialect of the early previous century, written in Gothic letters, can only be read after a bottle of fresh Obstler.

Ten południowy dialekt z początku ubiegłego wieku, pisany gotycką czcionką, można odczytać tylko po butelce świeżego Obstlera.

@Andrew Alexandre Owie The Dictionary of the Bavarian dialect, however, deciphers "Kluiben" as "Dörrbirnen", or "dry pears". 

Was is das? 

Słownik dialektu bawarskiego rozszyfrowuje jednak "Kluiben" jako "Dörrbirnen" lub "suche gruszki".

Co to jest?

Greinz did not give a fucking damn for Russia, Japan, Manchuria, etc. The most important for him was to set an example of courage, heroism, selfless self-sacrifice. The Varyag was a concrete, real example of how ones ought to act in the battle! The example which  precisely correlated with the general sentiment of pre-war Kaiser's Germany in its climax.
"There are no men above the military!" This sentiment in then Germany can only be compared with that of in Japan in the 1920-30s, or with the epoch of Nicholas I in Russia.
It was unlikely that someone would have published libels, even caricatures on the topics like "Fatherland", "valour", "military". Only "pinpoint shots" were possible, targeting specific officers who didn't match the lauded model of the Prussian officer.
Greinz would have written a satire on the events at Chemulpo, if only the Japanese officers in their blood-sealed report had informed that the Commander on the bridge of the Varyag had had requested five times to change his pants during the naval battle.

Greinz nie przejmował się Rosją, Japonią, Mandżurią itp. Najważniejsze dla niego było dawanie przykładu odwagi, heroizmu, bezinteresownego poświęcenia. "Wareg" był konkretnym, prawdziwym przykładem tego, jak należy postępować w walkie! Przykład, który doskonale odpowiadał nastrojom panującym w przedwojennych Niemczech kajzerowskich w kulminacyjnym momencie.

"Nie ma ludzi ponad wojskowymi!" Ten sentyment w ówczesnych Niemczech można porównać jedynie z tym z Japonii w latach 1920-30 lub z epoką Mikołaja I w Rosji.
Było mało prawdopodobne, żeby ktoś publikował paflety, nawet karykatury na takie tematy jak "Ojczyznę", "męstwo", "wojsko". Możliwe były tylko "celne strzały", skierowane do konkretnych oficerów, którzy nie pasowali do chwalonego modelu pruskiego oficera.
Greinz napisałby satyrę na wydarzenia w Czemulpo, gdyby japońscy oficerowie w swoim raporcie, zapieczętowanym krwią, donieśli, że komandor na mostku Varyag pięć razy żądał zmiany majtek podczas bitwy morskiej.

By the way, the exploits of the Russians in the Russo-Japanese War found a commendable response in Japanese poetry of that time too. Simply, the European public had no idea about that, since that time the white countries knew little about Japan which for the first time began to be active in the world.

The poetry related to the Varyag and Tsushima was brought up in the 1st volume of the Israeli author's book only a century later. (Rotem Kowner. Rethinking the Russo-Japanese War, 1904-05: Centennial perspectives. Leiden: Brill-Global Oriental, 2007)

Poezja poświęcona "Waregu" i Cushimie została poruszona w pierwszym tomie  książki przez izrailskiego autora dopiero sto lat później.
(Rotem Kowner. Rethinking the Russo-Japanese War, 1904-05: Centennial perspectives. Leiden: Brill-Global Oriental, 2007 [Rotem Kowner. Przemyślenie wojny rosyjsko-japońskiej, 1904-05: Perspektywy stulecia. Leiden: Brill-Global Oriental, 2007])

Nawiasem mówiąc, wyczyny Rosjan w wojnie rosyjsko-japońskiej znalazły godny pochwały odzew też w ówczesnej poezji japońskiej. Po prostu europejska opinia publiczna nie miała o tym pojęcia, tym razem białe kraje niewiele wiedziały o Japonii, która po raz pierwszy zaczęła być aktywna na świecie.

Perhaps, the Russo-Japanese War would not have taken place at all if the Russians had opened their Oriental Institute in Vladivostok five years earlier. Scientia potentia est. But like Europeans and Americans, they were late with the study of Japan, though it was at that time that they, like the Americans, had got their favourites in the Japanese Navy, whom after 1945 both countries had saved from the international tribunal. 

Być może wojna rosyjsko-japońska w ogóle by nie miała miejsca, gdyby Rosjanie otworzyli we Władywostoku swój Instytut Orientalny pięć lat wcześniej. Scientia potentia est. Ale podobnie jak Europejczycy i Amerykanie spóźnili się z badaniami nad Japonią, choć wtedy, podobnie jak Amerykanie, mieli swoich faworytów w japońskiej marynarce wojennej, których po 1945 r. oba kraje uratowały przed międzynarodowym trybunałem.

Some believe that the poem "Der "Warjag" was placed in a wrong environment of the miscellanious notes in the journal "Jugend". In fact, however, everything was well thought out: boys read something that interests them, and afterwards they marching go in their yards; girls also read that interests them, and afterwards they weep, shutting themselves in their rooms; their fathers and mothers learn about what is on in the Landstag and breweries. Jedem das Seine. A completely normal family magazine that children should force to buy. No wonder its title translates as "Youth".

Niektórzy uważają, że wiersz "Der "Warjag" został umieszczony w nieodpowiednim środowisku różnych notatek w czasopiśmie "Jugend". W rzeczywistości jednak wszystko było dobrze przemyślane: chłopcy czytają coś, co ich interesuje i potem maszerują po podwórkach; dziewczęta czytają też to, co ich interesuje, a potem szlochają, zamykając się w pokojach; ich ojcowie i matki zapoznają się z tym, co jest dzieje się w Landstagu i w browarach. Jedem das Seine. Całkowicie normalny rodzinny magazyn, który dzieci powinny zmusić do zakupu. Nic dziwnego, że jego tytuł tłumaczy się jako "Młodzież".

Gonna correct you. Rudnev did not wear the Japanese order, not because of patriotism, but because the Japanese did not hand it over to him through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, but delivered it to his flat. Rudnev did not apply to the sovereign for permission to wear the foreign order, and just for that very reason he did not have the right to wear that decoration on his uniform in public.

Poprawię cię. Rudniew nie nosił japońskiego ordera nie z powodu patriotyzmu, ale dlatego, że Japończycy nie przekazali mu go za pośrednictwem Ministerstwa Spraw Zagranicznych, ale dostarczyli do jego mieszkania. Rudniew nie wystąpił do cara o pozwolenie na noszenie obcego orderu i właśnie z tego powodu nie miał prawa nosić tego odznaczenia na mundurze publicznie.

The coffin with the remains of the dead Russian sailors from the Varyag and the Korietz  was transferred to a gun-carriage manually rolled by the Japanese sailors. The coffin was covered with the Russian naval ensign and several wreaths.
The march to the burial place to the music performed by two buglers proceeded in the following order, 
1. Japanese armed sailors
2. Missionary
3. The Japanese sailors carrying flowers
4. Carriage with a coffin
5. Japanese naval and army officers
Then in an alphabetical order followed
6. American sailors
7. French sailors
8. German sailors
9. Italian sailors
10. Civilians

Upon arrival at the cemetery, the missionary served a memorial service. After that,  Japanese Captain of the gunboat  Ōshima (大島) Hirose Katsuhiko (広瀬勝比古) read out a document in Japanese and saluted the coffin, after that all Japanese officers and midshipmen and foreign officers did the same. Then the coffin was lowered into the grave, and the Japanese sailors fired three volleys over the grave. After that, all Japanese and foreign officers threw a few handfuls of earth into the grave and the ceremony was over.

Captain of the gunboat Ōshima (大島)   Hirose Katsuhiko (広瀬勝比古). Kapitan kanonierki Ōshima (大島)   Hirose Katsuhiko (広瀬勝比古)

Trumna ze szczątkami poległych rosyjskich marynarzy z "Waregu"  i "Koriejcu" okrytą flagą rosyjskiej marynarki wojennej i kilkoma wieńcami została przeniesiona do lawety ręcznie zwijanej przez japońskich marynarzy.
Marsz do miejsca pochówku przy muzyce dwóch trębaczów odbył się w następującej kolejności:
1. Japońscy uzbrojeni marynarze
2. Misjonarz
3. Japończycy noszące kwiaty
4. Trumna na lawecie
5. Japońscy oficerowie marynarki wojennej i armii

Następnie w kolejności alfabetycznej szli
6. Amerykańscy marynarzy
7. Francuscy marynarze
8. Niemieccy marynarze
9. Włoscy marynarze
10. Cywile

Po przybyciu na cmentarz misjonarz odprawił nabożeństwo żałobne. Po tym są japońki kapitan  kanonierki  Ōshima (大島) Hirose Katsuhiko (広瀬勝比古) odczytał dokument po japońsku i zasalutowali trumnie, po czym wszyscy japońscy oficerowie i kadeci oraz oficerowie zagraniczni zrobili to samo. Następnie trumnę opuszczono do grobu, a japońscy marynarze oddali trzy salwy nad grobem. Następnie wszyscy oficerowie japońscy i zagraniczni wrzucili do grobu kilka garści ziemi i ceremonia się skończyła.

There is also a later document about the transfer of the coffin with  the remains to Vladivostok.

Istnieje również późniejszy dokument o przeniesieniu trumny ze szczątkami do Władywostoku.

@Andrew Alexandre Owie he is very handsome, that captain 

jest bardzo przystojny, ten kapitan

The Russian in the European part of the country before the war with Japan  sometimes called the Japanese in a derogotary way "macacas". But the Russian Far East was different. Vladivostok was inhabited not only with the Slavs, but also with the Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, and the Japanese were mainly represented there as the prostitutes or nannies. The European families had got the Swiss, French, German or British nannies, Vladivostok families had got the Japanese ones. The Russian children loved them very much, and it was a mutual love, so when the Japanese were ordered to return to Japan, due to the war with Russia Japanese nannies committed suicides in mass in the waters of the Vladivostok lagoon right on the berths near the Japanese vessels.

Rosjanie w europejskiej części kraju przed wojną z Japonią nazywali czasami Japończyków w sposób obraźliwy "makakami". Ale rosyjski Daleki Wschód był inny. Władywostok był zamieszkany nie tylko przez Słowian, ale także Chińczyków, Japończyków, Koreańczyków, a Japończycy byli tam głównie reprezentowani jako prostytutki lub nianie. Rodziny europejskie otrzymały nianie szwajcarskie, francuskie, niemieckie lub brytyjskie, rodziny władywostoku miały nianie japońskie. Rosyjskie dzieci bardzo je kochały i była to miłość wzajemna, więc kiedy Japończykom nakazano powrót do Japonii, w związku z wojną z Rosją, japońskie nianie we Władywostoku popełniały masowe samobójstwa na wodach zalewu tuż  na przystaniach pobliżu japońskich statków.